My Relationship With Media

     My relationship with media is quite complicated, something to which I think many teens can relate. Not only do I spend a considerable amount of time on some sort of media, but I also allow it to affect me and the way I choose to live my life. Clearly, there are various types of media, from television commercials to Instagram. Media is something that everyone is exposed to, no matter the way. It is such a common thing, so common that no one thinks twice when in contact. For example, commercials or ads that play in the middle of our favorite shows don't phase us, though they are seen as a nuisance. These commercials that we see spin the truth and twist reality to build their brand. This is something that every consumer is the victim of. Because this is such a usual thing for the majority of the population, it is not viewed as harmful. Many people, including myself, view the world's biggest issues to be things like climate change and gun control, not media. However, I always see articles popping up on my screen, trying to tell me how harmful media really is, even though the article itself is a form of media. I think that most people view social media to be the most harmful of all the types. The form of media I am exposed to the most, at least lately, would be social media. I think this is an answer that many teens would give if asked. This is because I have grown up around the other types of media, such as billboards, radio, and television, and am completely used to these deceiving messages being thrown in my face. Social media is the newest form that I have been introduced to, and therefore it has shaped me differently than the others. Social media has brought to light new generalizations, trends, and expectations. Many social media influencers use their position to endorse brands that are promoting bad products and ideas, just to get money and attention. When I started to see this aspect of media, I realized that all media platforms are abused in some way. Whether by a big corporation, private business, or a socialite, people use a position of power to promote and better their own life. This entire business is a selfish one, making it very unsafe for consumers to trust. Despite what I have realized about media, I still use it, see it, read it without any sort of filter. I haven't explored media much further than this, but am excited to better understand it as we continue this unit.  


Comments

  1. I agree with everything you just said. I think that social media has influenced some of my small personal decisions and even some bigger ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. ^Jane S said that just fyi

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Sorry, it's glitching.

      Delete
  2. I agree with and feel the same about how you grew up surrounded by ads on billboards and through media which has affected my view of certain things today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment